Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"Don't let the barriers you see define what you do." Sonal Shah

Today I was supposed to wake up and go running... but I didn't.
I woke up and went to work.

After work, I got home to a ready-to-eat meal. I was really excited because this meant that I could go running sooner. So I did just that. I wasn't really excited knowing that I was going to try for my 5 mile run tonight. I thought back to my 3 mile run where I was literally hunched over gasping for air for the last 1/2 mile and wondering if I could make it. I was remembering how sore I got from the first few runs that I went on. This was a freakishly hard obstacle in my way. BUT I did it, I got out and ran. It was an amazing night for running, and my thoughts changed from dread to desire. I started off a bit slower today, but picked up the pace after a few minutes. I was enthralled with the scenery as I ran up around the zoo and back.

At about 2 1/2 miles in I started feeling a little bit more tired, but I wasn't to the point of slowing down, in fact I picked up the pace and it felt GREAT! The 3 mile mark was at the intersection of Foothill and Sunnyside and a guy on a push bike was waiting on Sunnyside for the light to turn green. As I passed this guy he simply yelled an encouraging "YES!" I responded with my own "YES!" as I felt my feet move a bit faster beneath me. Within 1/4 mile I saw some neighbors of ours and they also were quite encouraging. It was perfect timing, because what followed next was the hardest part of the run.

"A great friend knows how to take you by the hand and lift you up when you are down and if you are really lucky they will take you for a run" via twitter

Next I encountered a lot of uphill running, 155 foot climb in about 1 1/4 mile to be a bit more specific. Ok, I'll admit it... I walked for about 1 minute... It's hard climbing that much after 3 miles of running! Anyway, when I got to the top of this climb, I started to speed up again. It felt GREAT! I then finished my 5 mile run, and walked home for my cool down.

After a good run, I feel like I am capable of anything"

This is truly a personal best. I've never run more than a 5K race at one time. Now I have run 5 miles. I feel so good, I don't feel exhausted or worn out, although I do think that I will sleep quite well tonight. I hope that everyone can see that they can also do it, they can work hard and complete their physical goals! Now I need to complete the other goals that I have set.


"One day I won't be able to do this, today is not that day" via

Help keep me accountable. Give me encouragement that I can feed off of, just like the random biker I saw tonight. Comment, tell others, and follow this blog!

No comments: