Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Well, I don't have to worry about overuse injuries! ;)

So, I went running on Saturday with Meg at Sugar House Park. I didn't do as well as I had hoped there. I ran under 3 miles in 22 minutes. I am actually quite upset at this, although I was able to maintain a 7:52 average mile. I guess I shouldn't be too upset seeing as how this was on average the fastest I have run yet at 7.52 mph. I should look at the brighter side of things more often! I guess now that I've looked back on it, I was running quite well on Saturday. Anyways, I haven't really worked out since then so overuse injuries are kind of out of the question at this point in my training.

You see, I have this really nice mountain bike tha
t I let sit in the storage space provided by the apartments. I haven't used it much, but I'd like to start using it more. I started tonight. I figured it was a good exercise to stress other parts of my legs more than running does. Running is great because it is not just a leg workout, but it also incorporates many muscles in your body. It is the most encompassing workout that can be done. Biking really isolates your leg muscles.

I had a goal to bike out to the 215/80 interchange
and bike on the trail that goes by 215, but by the time I had reached 2.5 miles it was getting dark and I was ready to turn around. So I did. Maybe later I will check out the sweet trail that goes somewhere over the... (don't say it)... Mountain. Luckily my bike is equipped with a front and rear light, so it was safe to ride in the dark along Foothill Drive. I have been told that when working out it is best to push yourself so much that the last little bit (or last few reps) takes you right up to your breaking point, but not to push you past your breaking point. I was very satisfied with the last climb up Sunnyside Avenue where I felt like that was the case. I made it up the hill, and across Arapeen to our apartments without having to stop and walk my bike at all. Yes, my legs do feel like jello right now, thanks for asking.

Recently I have been reading "Born to Run"
. This book was recommended to me by my brother. There is a part in the book where the author talks about Chia Seeds as being a great source of nutrition. That's right, you heard me.... Chia as in Chi Chi Chi CHIA!!


The secret truth here is that these Miraculous Growth Seeds that seem to do everything that a little kid wants them to do in 1-2 weeks actually are quite nutritious as well. You won't have to look hard to know what I mean either. I just googled "Chia" and came up with this blog that tells more on the nutritious elements of this seed. With this little bit of knowledge acquired, I decided I'd give it a shot and buy some. I went to the Sunflower Market, and was surprised to see it in many different prices. I chose to take from the bulk bin because it was SO much cheaper, and honestly, how can the bulk seeds be any different than the more fancy bottled seeds? So I have been throwing them in smoothies that I mix up, due to their bewildering texture that they have after being properly prepared and soaked in water to enhance their nutritional value. Here's a pic of how they come.




And here are some that I have sitting in my fridge gelled up.



I think you can see some chia seeds sprouting on the bottom of my lip!

Ok, so all you followers of mine... and those that just read this once in a while, or those that have just started reading my blog for the first time... I NEED YOUR COMMENTS! I have been dismotivated by the lack of motivation! I would love to be ultramotivated by the presence of supermotivation!

Get yourself outside, run, jog, bike, or whatevs, just move, and don't forget your Chia Pet. Mine is that cow above.

JABI!

3 comments:

Whitney Davis said...

Kendall, My running days are long gone - but I have a deep respect for anyone who can run long distances. It takes a great deal of patience and dedication. So proud of you! I think as long as you are improving each day or each time you run you're doing well!

I have read that anything seed that is sprouted doubles the nutrition - great! I made some sprouting jars some time ago you may borrow if you like. My fave is sprouted garbanzo beans and alfalfa. Yummy! xo -w

Anonymous said...

Just had a good run! I ran some good hills which seems to make my work outs much more intense.

Dalin Hansen said...

I have found that giving up my car keys and riding my bike everywhere has been both difficult and yet rewarding. Someday Ill be fit enough to run a marathon with JABI as my sponsor!